Residence Permits Informations

Any foreigner intending to reside in the United Republic of Tanzania for investment, business, employment or any other legal activity may be issued with Residence Permit. There are three types of Residence Permits which are Residence Permit Class A, B and C. However, there are various sub-categories to this broad classification of Residence Permit as described in the Residence Permit Matrix.

Download  Residence Permit Guidelines


  • Applicants are Companies and Association/ Organisation registered in Tanzania; as well as individuals who are applying for the purpose of internship, medical treatment, Research, attending case, retirement, buyers of real estate and others.
  • Applications for Residence Permits should be lodged and approved prior for applicants to entering the United Republic of Tanzania.
  • Applicants should obtain relevant Registration Certificate or license from relevant professional boards as the case may be.
  • All applicants of Residence Permits should first obtain Work Permit from the Ministry of Labour, except those coming for such purposes like Research, attending court case or retired persons.


Issuance statuses are designed to recognized and differentiate new applicants versus existing holders of Residence Permit; and to create uniformity in decision making among Immigration Officers in Residence Permit Section. Residence Permit Issuance status are as follows:

  • First Grant (FG) - For first application.
  • Returnee (RT) - For applicant who is re-joining his previous institution/ company after more than 3 years of absence.
  • Second Grant (SG) - For applicant changing from one category of residence to another e.g. from Class B to Class A in same institution/company
  • Replacement (RPL) - For applicant renewing his application after expiration.
  • Re-Grant 1(RG1) - applicant changing from one institution to another in the same residence class. E.g. from Class A to Class A.
  • Re-Grant 2(RG2) - applicant changing from one institution to another into different residence class. E.g. from Class B to Class.